Carpets are an extremely important part of any home and while many consider them to be less practical than a wooden or tiled floor (anyone that owns a dog or any other type of pet that malts will attest to this), that warm feeling that you get underfoot year round and the way that they can enhance the aesthetic of any room if well maintained is extremely desirable for property owners. But that's the key: to maintain them properly. While you might vacuum on a weekly basis and spot clean when necessary, that's not going to keep your carpets looking attractive for years on end. A more professional grade of cleaning is required to do that.
What Does Professional Carpet Cleaning Entail?
We have been carpet cleaning in Boulder, CO for many years and it never fails to surprise us just how unaware homeowners are of the important role that carpet cleaning plays in terms of the "health," appearance and smell of the carpet. Many people don't realize the difference between cleaning the carpet with a vacuum cleaner and having it cleaned with a professional grade carpet cleaner, and there is a BIG difference, which we're going to try and clear up now:
- A vacuum cleaner utilizes a dry cleaning technique that removes any debris on the carpet, but doesn't actually wash it. A carpet cleaning firm will utilize professional grade equipment that makes use of water to actually wash the carpet, removing any stains that are embedded into it.
- Residential vacuum cleaners pale in comparison to professional grade cleaning equipment in terms of suction power (many will use truck mounted systems), which makes a huge difference. This added suction means more dirt and grime that has built-up is removed.
The Main Benefits of Utilizing a Professional Carpet Cleaning Service
So we've established that the equipment used by professional carpet cleaning contractors is superior to standard residential cleaning equipment in terms of performance, but what does that edge translate to in terms of benefits to you, the homeowner. Here are just a few:
- Extend Your Carpet's Lifespan - Just think about it for a second. Every single day a wide range of substances get carried into your home from the outside on shoes, paws of pets, your clothes and even via the air, and these substances often end up coming into contact with your carpets. Dirt and dust on its own can do a significant amount of damage to carpets, but when more abrasive matter is "dumped" on your carpets unknowingly, it can actually cut right through carpet fibers, increase wear and tear and ultimately shorten the carpet's lifespan. However, if professionally cleaned on a regular basis, all of these harmful contaminants and the abrasive matter that can cause the carpet's condition to deteriorate, are removed. The end result is simple: your carpet lasts longer! Not just good news for your home, but also for your finances!
- Improve Your Home's Indoor Air Quality - A carpet acts as a kind of sponge inside the home, absorbing contaminants, which can contribute to indoor air pollution and cause a lower quality of air inside your living space. Some of these contaminants include dirt and dust, pet dander and other types of debris, and sometimes toxic gasses can become attached to the particles and become trapped within your carpet. Needless to say, removing all of these contaminants will go a long way to improving the quality of the air inside your home.
- Prevent Dust Mite Infestations - This is a very undesirable but surprisingly common problem that is experienced by carpet owners. Dust mites may well be inhabiting the carpets in your home right know, yet you know nothing about it due to their microscopic size. However, just because they're not visible to the naked eye doesn't mean that they're not there. Dust mites leave behind waste products that might cause allergic reactions and often a standard vacuum cleaner isn't enough to remove them. However, professional carpet cleaning guarantees that these microscopic pests will not be allowed to infest your home's carpets, since the high temperatures of the water that is used, combined the strong suction power of the cleaning equipment, kills and removes them.
- Reduce the Likelihood of Mold Growth - Mold growth is unattractive at the best of times and it's definitely not something that you want to see in your carpets. However, if your home has high humidity levels and your carpets are dirty, that's a very realistic possibility. It's easier than you think for moisture to get inside your home and once it gets onto your carpet, it can soak right into the fibers if you don't deal with it right away. If this does lead to mold growth, not only will it look unattractive and possibly create unpleasant odors in your home, but it could also be harmful for your health, since mold spores can cause allergic reactions and aggravate certain types of respiratory conditions such as asthma. Professional carpet cleaning removes this moisture, as well as any build up of dirt and contaminants.
- Specialized Knowledge - The other main benefit of professional carpet cleaning is the knowledge that contractors have of carpets. They can analyze the specific type of carpet you have, assess its condition and then select the most appropriate type of cleaning. Using some types of cleaning equipment on certain types of carpets might have serious consequences and cause lasting damage and while you might not know any better, a qualified carpet cleaning contractor will.
Hiring a professional team to maintain a part of your home, no matter whether it's the carpets or the air ducts (it's very important to maintain those too, as you can read in this article), is an investment that often pays for itself many times over by improving the living conditions inside your home and ensuring the various elements of your interior decor last as long as possible.