Occupying a prime location midway between Denver and Boulder, the City of Westminster is the 7th most populous city in Colorado. It's a beautiful city with lots of greenspace just a stone's throw from the foothills of the Rockies. If you live in Westminster, you appreciate the stunning vistas, the fresh air, and the convenience of having Rocky Mountain Airport, the 1stBank Center, and Standley Lake all just a few minutes away. You also know that keeping your carpets clean in frontier country like this can be something of a challenge. So in this post, those of us at Steve's are going to provide a few tips and tricks for keeping your Westminster carpets looking and feeling great.
Helpful Tips for Maintaining Your Carpets in Westminster
We love the environment as much as anyone, but we see every day how much of a challenge it can be to keep carpets in Westminster looking and feeling their best. So here are some simple tips and tricks you can use to ensure what’s underfoot is always up to snuff.
- Leave the shoes at the door - This simple trick will save you a lot of vacuuming and reduce the number of times you need to call Steve's to come with our truck-mounted steam cleaning system and restore your carpets. More than half the dirt in any given carpet in Westminster got there by hitching a ride on the bottom of someone's shoes. So put up a little sign in the foyer and at the back door announcing that the house is a no-shoe zone. Of course, you can take it down during holiday parties and the like so as not to inconvenience guests. But for day to day activity, shoes should be left just inside the door.
- Place area rugs on top of your wall-to-wall - In high traffic areas or areas where people tend to congregate (like around the sofa and TV in the living room) place area rugs on top of the wall to wall. The area rug will absorb most of the wear and tear and extend the life of the carpeting underneath. If someone knocks over a drink on the coffee table, the area rug will absorb the liquid, not the wall to wall. The area rug also absorbs most of the pet hair when your pooch is relaxing on the floor in front of the sofa while you watch the game. In addition, you can use runners on top of the wall to wall in hallways or in high traffic lanes between rooms.
- Be prepared for the worst - Nobody wants to see a glass of red wine slip out of someone's hand and land on the carpeting. But it happens. And when it does, you're either ready for it or you're not. If you're not, then precious minutes will tick by while the Chateau du Rugkiller soaks into the fabric to take up permanent residence. If you are, you'll have clean, soft towels ready to blot up the wine and plenty of baking soda on hand to quickly make a paste that you can apply to the stain. After the paste dries, you can vacuum it up. And if there is still a bit of color visible, you'll also have some OTC carpet stain remover on hand (that's compatible with your type of carpeting) to apply to the remaining stain to finish the job.
- Put that baking soda to use - You don’t have to wait until there’s been a red wine catastrophe to use the baking soda. Sprinkling a bit on your Westminster Carpets is a great way to soak up objectionable odors or to just remove that musty smell from the carpets in between professional cleanings. Just let it sit on the carpeting for 10 or 15 minutes and then vacuum the rug the way you normally would. When you're done, you'll be surprised how much cleaner and fresher the whole room smells. This type of carpet freshener is also non-toxic for pets and kids. So keep that in mind if you’ve got little ones who like crawling around on the carpeting.
- Schedule regular visits from Steve’s - While the above tips will help you keep your carpets looking good and smelling fresh on a day to day basis, you'll still need to have the pros in from time to time for a deep cleaning. That's because vacuuming only removes the surface dirt, dust, and debris from your carpets. And in a place like Westminster, carpets regularly absorb all kinds of dust, dirt, pollen, and other airborne nasties that burrow down right to the base of the pile. Pet dander, dead skin (which comprises a large portion of the “dust” in any given house), dust mites and other microbes also hide in the nether regions of the pile and can only be removed by professional intervention. Steve's truck-mounted steam cleaning service restores your Westminster carpeting to like-new condition. And by practicing the other tips on this list, you ensure it stays that way for as long as possible.
Westminster Carpet Care Made Easy
Keeping your Westminster carpets clean and pristine isn't rocket science. It's a combination of common sense, preparedness, and having the pros from Steve's in for a regularly scheduled deep clean. While our team is there, ask them about our dryer vent cleaning, duct cleaning, and upholstery cleaning services as well. Call Steve's Carpet Care today at (303) 530-4900 to learn more.